For all ATC customers, please be advised that CASA is introducing some regulatory changes in December 20121 which will have some effect on operations. Please visit the website at:
CASR Part 91 – General operating and flight rules
New basic operating rules for all pilots commence on 2 December 2021.
These rules are in Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) Part 91 – General operating and flight rules. CASR Part 91 should be read with the Part 91 Manual of Standards (MOS) which details how to comply with the rules.
Part 91 applies to all aviation operations except drones.
There are additional rules for pilots operating under an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) or other certificate, or those conducting defined activities such as aerial work, aerial application and some recreational aviation activities. These rules are in other CASR Parts and may add to or turn off some Part 91 requirements – either completely or partially.
Part 91 primarily retains existing rules with a small number of new rules designed to enhance flexibility and safety.
The biggest benefit is that all the general operating and flight rules are in one place – Part 91 and the Part 91 MOS – making it easier to work out exactly what the law requires you to do.
The main changes are:
- Give greater flexibility for carriage of animals and firearms. The pilot in command has more choice on how to apply the requirements based on their individual circumstances and how they manage the risk.
- Restrict the simulation of certain in-flight emergencies and who can be on board at the time.
- Introduce an approach ban in weather conditions consistently below landing minima at certain aerodromes for Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) flights.
- Give greater discretion for the pilot in command to determine which portable electronic devices may be used by passengers without compromising safety.
- Relax oxygen requirements for non-air transport operations.
- Permit the carriage of documents electronically.
- Amend the minimum altitude at which a cruising level must be used during flight under the visual flight rules (VFR).
Part 91 is part of a suite of flight operations regulations that commence on 2 December 2021.
Current rules in effect for Part 91 include:
- Civil Aviation Safety Amendment (Part 91) Regulations 2018
- Part 91 (General Operating and Flight Rules) Manual of Standards 2020
We have developed a Plain English Guide to make it as easy as possible to understand the new flight operations regulations.
Other advisory material provides advice and guidance to explain the regulatory requirements.
Guidance materials on navigation authorisations, 91U, can be found under Airspace and aerodromes on the advisory circulars page.